Screw insulin pumps, I'm going back to MDI

My reasons for going back to multiple daily injections (MDI): 

1) It sucks to have an insulin pump connected to you 24/7. 

2) Lipodystrophy: At some point I got crazy skin reactions to either adhesive, canula, insulin or a combination of the tree; Figure 1 of Kadiyala et al. (2014) shows my belly.

3) I use Apidra insulin to prevent Lipodystrophy. Modern insulin pumps get clogged when using Apidra. Screw you, Ypsomed. Screw you, t:slim!

4) Unreliable insulin efficacy. Might be related to point 2). 

5) Pump use is very expensive ($12,928 for pump vs. $9,005 for MDI, according to Toresson Grip et al., 2019). 

6) Modern pumps tend to have touchscreens. Why God, why?!?! I need my pump to be a tank. I do not need a touchscreen, because they are fragile, and the need to unlock the screen 25 times per day drives me crazy. Dear lord, how I miss my good old reliable Paradigm Veo pump. Battery would last a month, it was built like a military tank, and still quite small.

Going back to MDI, I soon noticed that the main advantage of an insulin pump is that it remembers how much insulin you took and when. This is not a highly technological trick, one does not need a $9,000 device for that. But somehow, insulin pens remembering a bunch of times and dosages are very rare. Ridiculous!

References

Kadiyala, P., Walton, S., & Sathyapalan, T. (2014). Insulin induced lipodystrophy. British Journal of Diabetes, 14(4), 131-133. http://dx.doi.org/10.15277/bjdvd.2014.036
 
Toresson Grip, E., Svensson, A. M., Miftaraj, M., Eliasson, B., Franzén, S., Gudbjörnsdottir, S., & Steen Carlsson, K. (2019). Real-world costs of continuous insulin pump therapy and multiple daily injections for type 1 diabetes: a population-based and propensity-matched cohort from the Swedish National Diabetes Register. Diabetes Care, 42(4), 545-552. https://doi.org/10.2337/dc18-1850

Reacties

Populaire posts van deze blog

Glucose levels on a smartwatch without a phone nearby (Freestyle Libre 2 + Bubble Mini + Samsung Galaxy watch 4)

xDrip+ Bluetooth Settings to work with Libre 1 / 2

Troubleshooting issues with xDrip+ and Bubble Mini